October 19, 2013

Random Recipe: Carrot Ginger Soup

This is a fall favorite of mine!
And, it just so happens I have a big haul of carrots from my garden!! 
It's healthy, low cost, and very easy to make. It's a great side, or a meal in it's self. 
I found the recipe here, then put my own spin on it. 
Why don't you make it for your family tonight.

Ingredients:
3 cloves of garlic
1 large onion (coarsely chopped)
2 tbsp of butter
6-7 large carrots
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cups chicken broth
4 cups water

Directions:

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and add garlic and onion.Stir often until soft, (approx 5 min). Meanwhile,  grate ginger, peel carrots and slice, then add all to onion mixture. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and nutmeg, stir in water and undiluted chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are very tender, (approx 30 minutes).


When finished cooking, use an immersion blender (as seen in the picture) to puree soup.  I'm told you can also use a food processor, but then you have to let the soup cool, it's messy, it's more work... Just my opinion.  I'd suggest an immersion blender, but hey, it's your choice!! 

Serve and enjoy! :)

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment