October 17, 2013

Thirsty Thursday Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte


These are the ingredients and measurements I used, please keep in mind it's just a guideline, feel free to deviate to your own personal tastes.

Ingredients:
1 cup boiled water
1tbsp loose leaf chai black tea
1 tsp pumpkin spice (+ a sprinkle more)
1/2 tsp of sugar
1/3 cup 2% milk

To start I bought some chai black tea leaves from my local bulk food store.  I steeped about a tbsp worth of loose leaves, and 1 tsp of pumpkin spice in my Tea infuser. Depending on your tastes, you may want to add a sweetener. What ever you would normally use, this would be the point to add it in.  




While the tea was steeping, I heated some milk (I used 2%) in a saucepan for frothing.  The ideal temperature for frothing milk is 140 degrees F.  I winged it though, because my thermometer battery was dead.  So for those in the same situation, keep the milk moving, stir or swirl it.  Look for bubbles forming on the bottom of the pan, as well as a sweet smell. That's the sugars in the milk that sweeten when they get to the right temperature.  Be sure not to boil or skald the milk though, as it will ruin it for the drink.  Heat slowly, I only turned the heat up to a medium low on the stove.


Once the milk is the right temperature, transfer the milk to container where it can be frothed, and then poured from. To froth I use a milk frother. I honestly don't know another way. It's quick and easy and inexpensive, but an amazingly handy little tool.  It's also a great little mixer for making chocolate milk for kids.  They think it's just as great :)






The next part is really self explanatory.  But I will say this.  Pour slowly, let the milk that is under the froth come out and it will mix with the tea like liquid velvet. Last thing is to spoon a little of the froth off the top.




Sprinkle some pumpkin spice over the top, and then enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy some more. :) 

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment